Thank you for your patience. I am back at GMT-06:00 now, a seven hour move that required seventeen hours of elapsed travel time. When I got home I found very little that has changed. Here's a brief run-down on new things in Birmingham:
1. Three Starbucks Coffee shops, a net gain of three since I left.
2. Stainless steel columbarium niches have been put in place.
3. City Council elections have soured former mayor Arrington on politics.
4. All the ATMs have brighter screens and the option of Español.
5. DART buses ply three routes through the city center at 10 minute intervals until midnight!
6. Fewer teachers, more students, lower budgets, more trailers - and the education governor is in office.
7. Flags everywhere.